Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Hello Kitty Birthday Party

For C's 3rd birthday, she decided she wanted a Hello Kitty party.  I wanted to try to be as crafty as possible, so I started with the vision of making fabric bunting as the main decoration...and the ideas just took off from there.

We ended up with a hello kitty cake; hello kitty dangling decorations; white chocolate cake pops, and my personal favorite, hello kitty hard boiled eggs (for the 'carry an egg in a spoon' game.)

It was a gorgeous day, and all the littles had a good time.  And fortunately, the photos turned out great!

 For the cake: I made a basic double-layer 12" round cake.  I had printed out a Hello Kitty coloring sheet & cut out the face; I put the cut-out directly onto the top of the unfrosted cake & used a knife to gently trace the lines.  I frosted the face all white first (dipping my knife in milk every few strokes to ensure smooth icing.)  After I'd iced the face 2x, I frosted the rest of the top pink, then the sides white.  I used a basic piping tip to do the bottom & top edges.

For the face:  I used small jelly beans for the eyes & nose & larger jelly beans for the flower.  The whiskers are black icing piped from a small icing-writer tube.
 Hello Kitty hard boiled eggs:  I boiled 12 eggs.  Once cooled, I drew the faces on using a sharpie marker for the eyes & whiskers, and a yellow marker for the nose.  FOR THE FLOWER: I found some adorable buttons at AC Moore in the shapes of flowers.  The centers of the buttons were removable, so I took them out & replaced them with rhinestone stickers which I hot glued onto the flower, and again glued the whole flower onto each egg. 










No comments:

Post a Comment